Tuesday, November 18, 2008

In defence of ghost blogging

There's nothing unethical about ghost blogging.

Before I explain, let me emphasize that I've never done it, I probably never will and we at com.motion recommend that clients not do it. But not because of ethics.

"Ghost blogging" refers to the practice of a professional writer or PR type writing a blog on behalf of an executive or celebrity. This is very much frowned on by most of the social media fishbowl. This point was underscored in a recent session on ethics at the Talk is Cheap unconference at Centennial College and a followup post by panelist Dave Fleet.

After labeling ghost blogging as unethical, the panelists were put on the hotseat by Centennial College public relations students and other participants. Why is it okay to write speeches for clients but not to write blog posts? Dave and Michael O'Connor Clarke said the difference is that when a CEO reads a speech, he takes ownership of the words, even if he didn't write them. Which makes it ethical. But this differentiator doesn't apply to quotes PR people write for executives in press releases, the president's statement in a monthly newsletter or op-eds (newspaper columns) written on their behalf.

The ethical divide isn't disclosure since ghost-writing is rarely acknowledged offline except when it comes to books. And its not expectations, since most newspaper readers probably assume that columns attributed to executives were actually written by them.

So either all this stuff - from ghost quotes to ghost messages to ghost op-eds - is ethical or none of it is. And I lean towards the latter former. (Note, I wrote latter here when I meant to write former, and yes, it does change the meaning of my post).

There is one important difference, but it's not ethical. The difference is consequences. Even if most readers aren't aware that op-eds aren't always written by the "writer," the repercussions of getting found out are almost non-existent. But ghost blogging comes with a motrinmoms-esque public relations risk.

And that's the real reason why - ethics aside - we don't recommend it.

4 comments:

Parent Club said...

I "ghostblog" two blogs (other than my own) for a busy client.

I think it's important when thinking of ghostblogging to ask...
--Can I trust this person?
--Am I specific about the topics I wish covered?
--Does the ghostblogger source for informational posts?
--Should I allow the ghostblogger to op-ed in my name? (there is a big difference between an op-ed blog and an informational blog)

David Jones said...

I hear these arguments played back all the time i.e. ghost-blogging is no different than speech-writing. And while I believe expectations will evolve, I'm with you that I'll never recommend it to a client.

Here's why.

Without getting all treacly about it, I believe that blogs are currently a proxy for a personal conversation between author and reader/commenter. A speech isn't a conversation and neither is a news release.

If I phone up a CEO, I expect the person on the phone is actually the CEO that I'm talking to. They'd probably ask how I got their number, but still, I'd expect it to actually be the CEO. I don't think a CEO would allow someone else to impersonate them on a phone call, so why do it on a blog?

Keith McArthur said...

Good comments from each side. Parent Club - I certainly think it changes the issue if the fact that a "ghost blogger" is used is publicly disclosed.

Dave - good analogy with calling the CEO's office. Maybe it comes down to the fact that blogs aren't like opeds, press release quotes or books because they are a conversation. That is, I can leave a comment and expect that the real person is writing back.

Then again, even letters are a form of conversation and few letters of response from a Prime Minister or a bank chairman are actually written by the guys who sign them.

It's certainly an interesting issue to debate. For another perspective, see keithmcarthur.ca. Dave Fleet has responded where I cross-posed this topic on that site.

meshie said...

A letter is not a conversation. And most people do not know that quotes and speeches are almost never written by the people being quoted or delivering them.

I like David Jones' take on this because it's directly to the point: Social media involves a conversation of some sort. A blog is part of the social media umbrella (that is, if it has open comments; if not, then it's just another way to post a one-sided story).

If your client isn't ready to have conversations with people, they shouldn't be using social media tools, period.